Sunday, May 1, 2011

Overwhelmed American in Australia


Approximately 30 minutes ago, I started seeing tweets that completely took me by surprise.  Osama Bin Laden is dead. Those words took a few minutes to set in; and then I was overcome by a wave of mixed emotion. Relief, joy, sadness - I started crying. This all happened while I was on a conference call with the Australian Pig Industry discussing a conference in November. I actually wrote this post during that call.

My first thought is a tremendous thank you to all of the American Armed Forces soldiers and their families. Your efforts were not in vain and your struggles will never be forgotten. I know exactly where I was on September 11, 2001 and I know that I'll remember exactly where I was on May 2, 2011.

While I am grateful that our country has united as one of the result of the atrocious WTC attacks in order to bring down this heinous terrorist, I am fully aware of the thousands of terrorists still at large in the Middle East. No doubt, they will continue to strive to annhilate those who do not agree with their mindset or values.  The war is not over, but a battle has been won. We're obviously not through seeing terrorist attacks however, this is an extremely moving, emotional and proud day to be an American.

I'm about to leave to go to work and I know that my colleagues will not fully understand the brevity of this situation, how can they?  As Hyatt and I watched President Obama's address to the nation, I felt such a swell of pride to be an American - this swell will be hard to contain.

This is such an incoherent post - I'm not sure how to end it so I'll just say:

God Bless our Troops and God Bless America.

Cheers,
FroBuzz

No comments:

Post a Comment